/ by /   Blog, pool education, Pool Safety / 0 comments

DIY Trends Going Away

SAFETY IS TRENDING!

I have heard many of wives cringe at the thought of their husband’s making the trip down to the local big box home improvement store to fix the sink, knowing full well the likelihood of having to call a plumber in the end is probable.  The plumber we all know is called only after everything has been tried, all his buddies come over, a case of beer, 3 pizzas, 6 hours and a cornucopia of plumbing parts all over your sink area.   The same goes for the impulsive trip to go buy floor tile after watching one of those DIY home improvement shows; all of a sudden we get excited and think because it was done by a pretty girl and her accountant husband… then anybody can.  Those shows probably go through endless cuts and edits.

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with both scenarios above, more and more people are leaving home improvement projects to professionals in that specific home improvement area.  I heard last week “I wouldn’t want a shoe salesman doing my organ transplant”.  This is the rationale that is trending now.

Professional services seem to cost more than doing it yourself in the beginning, but not really.  People are now asking them self the following questions before starting any home improvement project:

  1. Is there any dangerous chemicals that could subject my family or I to harm, cancer or even death?
  2. How much do I know about …?
  3. How long will it take me?
  4. What is my time worth?
  5. How much will it cost to rent equipment?
  6. How much will parts be?
  7. Is this dangerous, period?
  8. How much are any parts & materials?
  9. What is the likelihood I won’t be able to complete the project correctly?
  10. If I start the project, can’t complete it… is this something that can wait unfinished, or will a provisional need to come in to remedy?
  11. The list of questions goes on and on…

I will put a few scenarios together that have helped people determine sometime doing it yourself is just downright dangerous.

  DIY Dangers:

Scenario 1:  Jack decided it was too expensive to hire a pool service company.  Jack was maintaining his pool, and did OK.  He would get the occasional green water… but he’d throw a bunch of shock in there and the green would go away.  Good– right?  Well, maybe in some cases, but what happened in Jack’s case was his water became a big hazard, and got his entire family sick.  Cryptosporidium is a highly contagious and serious parasitic illness that his entire got infected with by swimming in water that had these hidden organism parasites sharing the water with them.  You see, Cryptosporidium is resistant to chlorine, so those handy dandy shock bags didn’t kill them; a professional pool maintenance company knows this.  You can do an internet search on the symptoms of Cryptosporidium, it’s not pretty.

http://www.12news.com/news/health/if-youre-swimming-in-pools-here-are-some-bacteria-swimming-with-you/457511006

Jack now has a professional pool company come out and service his home in Phoenix, AZ.

Scenario 2: Don just got done watching a home improvement show and decides he wants to re-tile the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry room.  Don and his family went to the flooring store, and picked out some beautiful tile slates that looked just like wood flooring.  Everyone was super excited, envisioning what the house would look like with the new flooring.  Over a thousand dollars later, and buying all of the materials Google said was required to undertake this process, the family begins the project.  The family had got so excited about putting in the new flooring, and how easy it looked on TV to remove the old tile, they didn’t put a lot of thought into it.  Well… they couldn’t get the old tile up at all.  Don went to the equipment rental store, rented this machine to help chip up tile and he was on his way.

What Don didn’t realize is that the grout in the tile has dangerous dust called silica that can make people very sick, in fact this silica dust has been proven to cause cancer.  Don gets half the kitchen floor chipped up, starts picking up the sharp pieces of tile to dispose of them, and SNAP!  Don got an unexpected huge, gashing cut caused by a sharp piece of tile.  The cut was so deep, blood was gushing everywhere like a scene from a horror film!  His wife and kids are now in route to the emergency room with Don.  28 stitches later, instructions to take it easy for 14 days, pain pills, a $2900.00 emergency room bill and a tore up kitchen floor… The broken tile and silica dust stays in the kitchen for 3 weeks with the kitchen masked off due to the sharp tile danger till Don can get back to it.  The family goes out to eat over the next 3 weeks because the kitchen is out of commission, and spends another $1500.00 just on restaurants.

Next thing thing you know, baby Cindi’s asthma is spiraling out of control, needing breathing treatments several times a day.  Baby Cindi actually ended up at the Phoenix Children’s Hospital for 5 days.  While baby Cindi already had asthma, it was well managed, but for some reason the family couldn’t get a handle on it.  The doctors interviewed both parents to ask if there was anything different in baby Cindi’s environment, and the parents explain the DYI floor tile removal project gone bad.

The look on the doctor’s face was that of horror.

The doctor had explained to the parents that they had been exposed to, and exposing their baby girl to cancerous silica dust over the past 3 weeks.  The doctor explained the dangers of this silica, and how the dust is so fine that masking off the kitchen with plastic wasn’t enough.  He went on to say that the entire home had most likely become contaminated with this silica dust, even in the smallest of crevices, including baby Cindi’s toys and furniture.  The doctor advised not to have baby Cindi enter the home till it had been decontaminated professionally.

  The parent’s hired a professional cleaning company to remedy the home immediately.  This was A TON OF MONEY!

So now the house is free as can be of silica, the broken tile has been discarded and the home has been professionally cleaned.  Baby Cindi can now come home.

The house is safe to live in, but the kitchen floor is have torn up because it couldn’t be completed.  Now after being cut so badly by a piece of tile he needed stitches, and his child incurring breathing issues because of the silica dust, Don knows he can’t undergo this task.

Don got on the internet and found a DUST FREE TILE REMOVAL COMPANY!  There was a fee for this of course, but what Don realized is that it would have cost so much less money by having the tile removed professionally than the medical bills, restaurants and missed work.  Dust B Gone was the company that came out to safely remove the rest of the tile.  The tile was removed so clean, and also fast.  Don and his family were able to install the tile they bought, but now will have second thoughts before trying a do it yourself home improvement project.

 

Author © Tyra Wade

10/01/2017

 

 

SHARE THIS

Written by Aqua Clean